Saturday, October 20, 2012

Page 110: Double Chocolate Crumb Cake

And here is the third and final recipe which was partially derived from the disappointing Red Velvet Cupcakes. I made the vanilla version of this cake for Easter, but since this one involved chocolate crumb base I needed to wait until I had leftover chocolate or red velvet cupcakes to crumble.

I also had a little help in the kitchen since my sister's family was visiting me last week. Even though my nephew Cooper isn't too fond of chocolate (yes, the child is a little crazy in that respect) he was a willing helper and even he could not resist to sneak a handful when I brought out the jar of chocolate chips.

Since Cooper was here his mommy was also here, and she is infinitely better than I at capturing an activity in photos. Therefore, the process was well documented (here's to you, Jess!).






Cooper doesn't like potatoes either, so when he found out the ingredient list contained potato starch, he was less than thrilled.


But the final product didn't look anything like potatoes! Unlike the Easter cake, I watched this thing like a hawk to prevent over-baking it and drying it out. The end result was a pretty moist cake and the extra sweet and salty crumb topping was yummy. 

The recipe calls for chocolate sauce, but since I've severely failed in my attempts to make that previously I opted for a layer of chocolate chips. Sauce would probably be better, though, I have to admit (but probably not the way I make it!). 


I served it for dessert ala mode - the real stuff since I had guests and did not have any non-dairy ice cream!


Despite the chocolate and the potato starch, even Cooper had some.


Seems like it was a hit. Now... just SIX recipes to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment