Sunday, April 22, 2012

Page 79: Agave-Sweetened Brownie Gems

Today was another rainy day in paradise and I found myself with some extra time at home and an urge to bake.  My first inclination was to make the BabyCakes chocolate chip cookies, but as I continue my quest to bake every recipe in the BabyCakes book I thought I should try something new.  So I decided to try the second brownie recipe: Agave-Sweetened Brownie Gems.

Gems.  Sounds super cute and yummy right?  Wrong.  Bottom line: I think this is my least favorite BabyCakes recipe yet.  Pretty much everything I've made so far is not only better, but waaaaay better.  Let's disect...

From all accounts, these are apparently purposefully less sweet than the Brownie Bites I've successfully made before.  But the chocolate sauce is supposed to make up for this lack of sweetness.  It does not.  Maybe I did something wrong with the sauce, because as you'll see in the comparison below, mine looks very different from that shown in the picture.  Mine was not as dark and rich looking (or tasting), despite adding extra agave in attempt to get the "deep, rich chocolate" version of the sauce as described in the book.


The chocolate frosting "sauce" was pretty good - although I think the vanilla version is still better.  But even it could not bring these bites back to the level of yumminess I've come to expect from BabyCakes.  I'm taking them to work tomorrow where I plan to anonymously place them in the break room and remotely monitor how fast they disappear (this is what I do with baked goods not bad enough to throw out but not good enough to claim).


Oh well.  The upside: I'm one recipe closer to moving on to book two (and DONUTS!).  And... I have a bowl of leftover chocolate frosting in my refrigerator!  Surely I can think of a good way to put that to use.

5 comments:

  1. "...not bad enough to throw out but not good enough to claim..." Hilarious! They do look yummy. Do post what you do with the frosting. Even if it's just eating it by the spoonful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna, I've just been reading over some of your older posts and I can imagine how frustrating it must be to keep getting such inconsistent batches of the vanilla frosting! Martha Stewart had Erin Mckenna on her show when the book first came out and on the show she says to add 3/4 cup rice or soy milk - the cookbook calls for twice that amount! This may be the root of the problems you've been having? Here's the link to watch the video in case you're curious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehZXRQaaPCo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so good to know! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sad to say... time got away from me and it went bad before I used it! Tragic, I know.

    ReplyDelete