Saturday, December 1, 2012

Page 41: Strawberry Shortcake

As I was plotting my recipe timeline to finish this book, I explained to my husband that I had kind of made this one before. Except I was out of spelt flour so I used wheat.  And I didn't have any frosting so we had it with vegan ice cream instead.  He thought it sounded close enough, but I felt that the frosting made a big difference and I lacked photo documentary proof of my last effort.  So... here it is... my second to last recipe: Strawberry Shortcake!

First of all, the biscuits. I love biscuits, especially sweet and scone-like biscuits such as this one. Fortunately it made twelve full size biscuits with enough dough left over to make two mini biscuits I ate immediately after removing the pan from the oven. 


I also made a rather successful batch of vanilla frosting - using half the soy milk called for really seems to make it manageable. Sure glad I figured that one out by the time I got to recipe 51. 

Oh well. The assembled shortcake was good. But it's not strawberry season and did I mention I love biscuits? I ate one as pictured, and then ate two more leftover biscuits plain on Sunday! The rest were consumed by friends in a post-chili-cook-off food coma.


And so, my friends, this brings me to it - just one recipe to go! And can you guess which one I left for the grand finale?  If you read my inaugural post you may have an idea. Otherwise, you'll just have to wait until this weekend.  Fortunately my friend Kim is hosting a holiday party and thus giving me the perfect occasion to bake and celebrate the final BabyCakes adventure from book one.

Watch for recipe 52 - coming SOON! 

1 comment:

  1. You're killing me today. I just want to pop one in my mouth.

    I'm properly attired. Bring on the final recipe :)

    ReplyDelete